Thursday, December 23, 2010

Fable II Review Update

After a harsh review of Fable II for the Xbox 360 earlier, I decided to go back to the game and give it another try. It turns out that I just happened to coincidentally run into a series of rare glitches in a rather short period of time, and the experience I had was not entirely reflective of the game itself. In fact, there were no glitches at all (aside from one random instance) after I picked Fable II up again. On that note, I wanted to revisit my earlier judgment of Fable II and fine-tune what I had originally said. The game is an entertaining, expansive console-based RPG. Though the gameplay concepts were good, the gameplay itself was somewhat repetitive and underwhelming. Fighting mobs of enemies while hitting the same two buttons over and over again for a two-hit combo made the game less than exciting, but it kept a steady pace and was quick to introduce new quests. Though I ended up only getting about halfway through the game before returning it to my editor, I saw hints of a tried and true story that had a few twists, which could potentially be interesting if you hadn't experienced it before. However, the game felt like an unhappy in-between of console RPGs and MMORPGs: the game suffers from a lack of original storyline and semi-unimportant quests fused with a lackluster leveling system. Fable II is a fun enough game, but I feel that it is oriented towards newcomers in the gaming world.

Everything else I said earlier remains true if memory serves. The only rating that I would change would be gameplay, which would be bumped up from a 2 to a 3.5, bringing the overall rating up to 3.6.

No comments:

Post a Comment